Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Turnaround Tuesday!

Welcome back to my new-and-improved (or at least consistently updated) blog. It's Turnaround Tuesday!

Turnarounds are a great way to get a feel for a character and to see if you can get a handle on their look and personality, even more than a pin-up. Last week I drew Captain America; not the 'normal' Cap, but rather his momentarily replacement (I'm assuming) Bucky Barnes. This week I'm doing again an iconic hero. It's Batman. But once again, there's a twist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently in a big, mega-crossover DC temporarily killed off their iconic hero Batman. The subsequent stories were all rather well-done, and part of the success I think lay in the fact that there was an acceptance that the 'true' Batman would be back, good as new, at some point in the future and that this was an opportunity to tell some interesting stories with another character filling in.

The natural choice was of course Robin, now grown up and running around as his own hero Nightwing, Dick Grayson. The costume is more or less the same, though there are some cool stylistic difference, such as a new belt and a slightly different chest emblem and glove and boot design. I wanted though, in this turnaround, to see if I could convey something of the personality of Dick Grayson, who is much less scarred by his trauma than Bruce Wayne. (But then, who isn't?) I wanted a little but more relaxed, 'at ease' Batman.

I think it turned out alright.

(Oh, and not that they need any help, but the aforementioned comics are available online for sale. They're really good.)


No comments: