Thursday, December 2, 2010

Foto Friday!

It's the end of the week, and we're drawing from a photo. Get excited!

Having been getting into Ancient Egypt again, I've been jonesing all week to jump back to that subject. Today is Foto Friday!, wherein I'll draw either straight from a photo or a picture that draws on photos for poses, reference and landscape. Today is going to be in the former.



This is Senwosret I, an Ancient Egyptian Pharaoh from the Twelfth Dynasty. It's a great statue (it's in the Cairo Museum, but I'm pretty sure I've seen one nearly identical in the Met) and the lighting in this photo is perfect.

Photorealistic drawing takes a lot of time, and it's also what I'm doing for work right now, so I didn't have nearly the energy for this that I'd need to take it to completion. I had two choices: either turn in into a study and go over it in marker or darker, sketchier pencil or charcoal, or leave it incomplete to come back to at a later date. I'm happy with how it's coming out so far so I chose the latter.





Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your weekend! Drop a line if you get a chance and let me know what you think, or what you'd like to see.

No comments: