Monday, December 13, 2010

Turnaround Tuesday!

Welcome back to the fourth week of my new-and-improved (or at least consistently updated) blog. It's Turnaround Tuesday!

Turnarounds are a great way to get a feel for a character and to see if you can get a handle on their look and personality, even more than a pin-up. Last week I ventured into C-List territory (sorry, Creeper!) but this week I'm jumping into more tried-and-true lands. I think

It's interesting to think about characters that are pretty well known in comic cirlces, but never really make it in the mainstream. Impulse? Beloved in the comic-reading population. In the mainstream? Not so much. This character is an x-man, she's been around for close to thirty years, and she's had a handful of good stories written about her. I don't know that most people've heard of her though. Have You? It's....

Rogue!

My first introductions to Rogue, occurring pretty simultaneously, were as the happy-go-lucky-meets-cheesecake-pathos of Chris Claremont (Rogue's co-creator) and Jim Lee (here) and the reprints of her villainous beginnings (here) She's never really worked for me as a combination of those two depictions, but I like them each individually. Most people know her from her appearances in the X-men films, played by Anna Paquin, but I've enjoyed her being a little older and stronger. The X-men's Wonder Woman, if you will, with a bad streak. Anyways, as with most things X-men related, my Jim Lee influence came out a lot more than I'd expected. But there's certainly worse you can do!

(Oh yeah, this costume's pretty cool. A little busy for my taste, but she's had (many) worse)

No comments: