Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Missing Ink!

Get it, the 'missing ink'.

-ahem-

Welcome to another installment of my new and improved art blog. I'm your host Alonso Nunez. It's Wednesday and that means it's time to 'sketch' a nice bit of inking (hopefully a nice bit of inking anyways) over some pencils (usually by another artist but sometimes over my own).

This week's selection comes to us from John Byrne. It's from Rough Cuts #1. Byrne has been in comics for over thirty years now, and his work on Fantastic Four and X-Men are considered among the finest runs those books have ever had. He's also had stellar runs on Alpha Flight, Avengers, and Superman, which is where this piece comes from.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a splash page from The Man of Steel #6. It's fairly tight, as you can see above. By 'tight' I mean that the lines are all pretty defined, textures are discerned and line weights are present. This is one of those 'just don't mess it up' type of drawings. I'm going to see if I can have a little bit of fun with it.

The original was inked by Dick Giordano, one of the greats, and can be seen here.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------





This was a lot of fun. A good inking exercise. I used only brush on this one (except for the 'S') and tried to just speed through it, reach for something a bit more spontaneous and organic. Like I said, fun.

No comments: