Monday, March 7, 2011

Manic Monday!

It's Monday, it's crazy, it's time to do some art!

Let's do this! Manic Monday, GO!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you see my comic page that I posted up? It's my entry for a
So last week I mentioned the rather excellent Agent of S.T.Y.L.E. on Newsarama.com. I also linked to the first part of a few posts on the various Flash costumes over the years. Well, the next couple posts are up! And they are indeed excellent. Flash Fact: There's been some great costumes in the Flash universe, and there's been some awful costumes in the Flash universe. This series of articles covers them all. (Parts one, two and three are here, here and here) Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been looking at a lot of Alex Toth recently (shocking, I know) and I'm really convinced that he's one of the most important artists in comic history, right there with Kirby, Eisner and Wood. If you're looking for somewhere to get started, or looking for something new, you can do a lot worse than Creepy #139. It's a full issue of that classic magazine devoted to showcasing the work that Toth had done for the magazine up to that point.

It's an amazing book, maybe even more for the non-successes. It's fascinating to see the process of an artist so conscious and deliberate as Toth, and with works that aren't perfect I feel like you can see a bit more of his process and where he was coming from and where he was going. If that makes sense.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ancient Egypt continues to blow my mind. I've been watching some documentaries, and there's a lot that we still don't know or completely understand. Here's an adequate but not completely successful example: Picture the pyramids. Easy right? Big, colossal structures. Everyone can picture them, but did you know that they were all originally cased in limestone? The surface area would have been completely flush and gleamed light in the sun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Internet friends! Here's a rough from a panel in the page that I finished last week. (Have you voted yet? Go here and read them rules! Really. You want your vote to count, don't you?) I'm usually not that into my roughs (not that I don't like them, just that I don't think that people are into seeing them much) but this one I thought was fun.

I think the markers help. Markers always help. Primary colors too.

And Batman. Always Batman.

(In my best James Brown) Uggghh!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------


No comments: