Monday, March 28, 2011

Manic Monday!

It's Manic Monday! You may have noticed that the last couple weeks were a bit of wash here at Pop/Life. I bit off.. not more than I can chew, but a piece that took a little bit longer to chew, if I can be allowed to stretch that metaphor to its legal limit.

I started trying to get done an extra comic page, in addition to my blog stuff and my usual motley crew of assignments, and it's taken a little bit longer than I'd anticipated to integrate into my schedule. Let's see if this week we can get back on track, yeah?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's no secret, here on this blog or to anyone that's talked to me for more than five minutes, that one of my absolute favorite comic artists is Kevin Nowlan. Nowlan is a thirty year professional in the industry, and he's one of those rare talents that's on the short list for mastery of penciling, inking, coloring and lettering. He's really, really good.

It's pretty rare anymore for him to take on penciling jobs (he's spent more time doing covers and stellar inking jobs over guys like Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez) but Mike Mignola, creator of Hellboy, has somehow lured him into doing a Hellboy one shot. This highly anticipated book is due next month. Kevin Nowlan's really gone all out on this one: he's doing the pencils, inks, letters and colors. I'm incredibly excited. Yay for comics!

There's a brief but interesting article over at Newsarama on the project (and dig those sweet pencils!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what I'd do if I didn't own an espresso machine, I really don't.

Okay, that's a lie. I'd go to the excellent Lestat's Coffehouse, here in Normal Heights. I'm just a block away, and I feel lucky.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm always interested in how other artists produce their work, and what steps they take and when. Along those lines, there's a great process article about a recent Venom cover by Joe Quesada over at Comic Alliance. Go check it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the Sandman page I promised on Friday is not done yet. BUT. I've got a nice looking panel to show you! Last week (or the week before that, really) I posted a rough I was working on for the page. Well, the pencil-ness is done for that one. Here ya go!




See you tomorrow!

No comments: