Monday, December 15, 2008

Random Batman Post

Just clearing my head...

*There's a (fairly substantiated, by the looks of it) rumor that Grant Morrison will be returning to Batman (didn't even know he was gone, did you?). This is pretty exciting for me, but what really kicks this up into a frenzy is the fact that his collaborator is going to be Frank Quitely, easily his most sucessful artistic pairing. I'm very psyched to see this.

* For those of you that don't know, Frank actually already has one bat-book under his belt, 1996's Batman: The Scottish Connection. Written by Steven Grant it's a nice book, and really worth it for any Quitely fan. It's got a terribly low print run and is tough to find, but maybe DC will give it a reprint to coincide with this Batman launch. Have a pretty picture:



(That's the cover to Scottish Connection. Mmmm... Quitely...)

* In other Bat-news, a new Previews is out and the second cover for Garcia-Lopez and Nowlan's Batman Confidential run is up. It's a beaut:



On previous work of Garcia-Lopez that Kevin Nowlan has inked he's used a combination of brush and pen (his norm, more or less). This work seems pretty light though and quite possibly all pen (excepting for the spotting of blacks of course). I'd be curious to know his thinking for this. One possibility is that he's going for something a little more along the lines of the crisp inking that Dick Giordano used for Garcia-Lopez in the 80's. It's Nowlan, so it works of course.

Just wondering...

* It's true: Tony Daniel is writing the next Bat-arc. Yes, Tony Daniel is writing the next Bat-arc...
...-sigh-... Think happy thoughts...happy thoughts...

* Norm Bregfoyle might be the most underrated artist that's worked on Batman. He did some of the best work Batman's seen. Ever. I have to think it's a matter of time before he gets his due.

* I leave you now with one more Quitely Bat-image. This one is a variant cover for All-Star Batman and Robin. Holy Bat Crap, I'm about to mention All-Star Bat without delving into snark... My God, I did...



Man's a genius...

1 comment:

Manny Mederos said...

Although I can't say much because I haven't really picked up any of Frank's Superman, I must say I will be on the look out for this Batman, Thanks Alonso for giving me a heads up!